My oldest daughter was born at home after 41 weeks and 1 day of waiting. I will not ever say it was easy, but it was beautiful. Labor is one of the most challenging and transformational things we can experience. After all, 9lbs 8oz of her slid into my arms, I felt so connected, present, and in LOVE! This child was not finished teaching me yet, though. We struggled hard with breastfeeding and pain, I had a long period of healing, and while we finally caught our rhythm, I knew there had to be a better way.
When I was pregnant with my first baby and struggling with my fears, my wishes, and my hope for the birth that I wanted, I took up the habit of walking at the beach 4-7 times a week. I hit the sand and walked through my fears and doubts. I cried and prayed for peace and worked through my fears of becoming a mother and my doubts about how I planned to do it. I took pictures of the waves. Listened to the birds. Walked in the fog. Walked in the morning light. I walked barefoot and connected. The sea and the shore became my ritual and connection to my baby.
5 months after my daughter was born, I entered the world of birth work, and Birth By The Sea was born! For me, the job of a doula is to provide that continuity of care midwives give in any birth setting. Being a doula allows me to integrate my many interests and talents. I get to provide information and resources that allow families to make evidence-based decisions in alignment with their personal beliefs. Doulas are the safety line on the ship. We can’t do your work for you. But we support you as you chart your own map and we amplify your voice.
I want to age like sea glass. Smoothed by tides, not broken. I want the currents of life to toss me around, shake me up and leave me feeling washed clean. I want my hard edges to soften as the years pass—made not weak but supple. I want to ride the waves, go with the flow, feel the impact of the surging tides rolling in and out.”Bernadette Noll
Education and Certifications
- DONA International Training 2011
- Birth Goddess Doula Training and Certification in 2012
- Certified Placenta Specialist – Full Circle Placenta 2012
- AALP Certified Lactation Counselor Training and Certification 2014 & 2019
- Green Wisdom Herbal Apprenticeship 2015
- Bachelors in Early Childhood Education and Development – Pacific Oaks College 2021
- California Teaching Credential 2022
- Water Birth workshop with Barbara Harper
- Herbal Medicine for Women program with Aviva Romm
- Plus Size Birth Training
- Gentle Birth with Sarah Buckley
- Future of Childbirth with Ina May Gaskin
- Rebozo Training with Joni Nichols